Lt Gen faces probe on ex-Army chief’s DoB row
- Congress has old habit of destabilising popular governments, says Rajnath
- Bihar: Ten CRPF commandos killed in Naxal IED blast
- OPINION | Shah Faesal writes: Between the studio and the street
- GOP for securing Pakistan nuclear arsenal; calls India its ally
- Arun Jaitley interview: Huge banking reforms underway, been able to strike consensus on GST Bill
A senior serving Lt Gen is under the scanner after the Defence Ministry directed the Army to "fix responsibility" for an official communication that was contrary to the government's view on the age row involving former Army chief General V K Singh.
The media communication reportedly released by Lt Gen Sanjeev Madhok in September last year, when he was posted in Army Headquarters as a Maj Gen, allegedly supported Singh's contention that his year of birth was 1951 and not 1950.
The communication was reportedly sent after the Ministry of Defence decided to consider 1950 as Singh's year of birth, making him eligible for retirement in May 2012.
It is learnt that the Army conducted an inquiry after the MoD questioned whether the communication on a "personal matter" involving the then Army chief can be considered as a "performance of official duty".
The inquiry, sources said, was carried out by Lt Gen Amarjeet Singh Chabbewal, the Master General of Ordnance (MGO).
Madhok is currently commanding a corps.
Sources said the inquiry has been completed but the Army has not yet fixed blame for the media communication.
- The endeavour for a common civil law must be to end discrimination, and not stamp majority might
- A host of powerful open and programmable capabilities is set to create the ‘WhatsApp moment’ for Indian banking
- Local newspapers are often the only source of news during curfew and the record of state violence
- Navjot Sidhu’s revolt has complicated the Punjab pre-poll scene
- There is an urgent need for India to reclaim 'national interest' from its national media
- India's institutionalised monetary policy framework has to be taken to its logical conclusion