Lt Gen faces probe on ex-Army chief’s DoB row
- Election Live: BJP in damage control mode, Rudy to meet Uddhav to fine tune alliance with Sena
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
A senior serving Lt Gen is under the scanner after the Defence Ministry directed the Army to "fix responsibility" for an official communication that was contrary to the government's view on the age row involving former Army chief General V K Singh.
The media communication reportedly released by Lt Gen Sanjeev Madhok in September last year, when he was posted in Army Headquarters as a Maj Gen, allegedly supported Singh's contention that his year of birth was 1951 and not 1950.
The communication was reportedly sent after the Ministry of Defence decided to consider 1950 as Singh's year of birth, making him eligible for retirement in May 2012.
It is learnt that the Army conducted an inquiry after the MoD questioned whether the communication on a "personal matter" involving the then Army chief can be considered as a "performance of official duty".
The inquiry, sources said, was carried out by Lt Gen Amarjeet Singh Chabbewal, the Master General of Ordnance (MGO).
Madhok is currently commanding a corps.
Sources said the inquiry has been completed but the Army has not yet fixed blame for the media communication.
The Army will, however, be under pressure as the Ministry of Defence has now categorically asked the Army to "fix responsibility" for the communication.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express