M&M to acquire 26% stake in defence joint venture with BAE Systems

Mahindra and Mahindra today said it will acquire 26 per cent stake in its defence joint venture with BAE Systems, ending their three-year old partnership. In a joint statement, they said that they have decided to end their three-year old partnership in the Indian defence sector with M&M set to acquire 26 per cent stakes of its partner in the joint venture company Defence Land Systems India (DLSI).

In DLSI, Mahindra Defence Systems has 74 per cent stakes while the global defence major had thee remaining 26 per cent.

The Joint Venture company had plans of supplying artillery howitzers and anti-mine vehicles to the Indian armed forces.

"Since the establishment in 2009 of the Joint Venture, DLSI, there has been significant evolution in the Indian Land Systems market.

"Developments in both the industry environment and in customer procurement frameworks and acquisition strategies have led the shareholders to conduct a strategic review of the DLSI business," BAE Systems said in the statement.

"Following that review, it has been jointly agreed that Mahindra & Mahindra will acquire BAE Systems' 26 per cent shareholding in the entity.

"This decision is a reflection of the shareholders' belief that they can best meet emerging customer requirements and address the opportunities in this dynamic market with a flexible, tailored approach that was not easily facilitated by the structure of the existing joint venture entity," it said. BAE said the decision will enable both companies to consider each opportunity on a case by case basis, including continuing to explore opportunities for co-operating on specific defence projects.

Brigadier (Retd) Khutub Hai, CMD, Mahindra Defence Systems, said, "In keeping with the Indian defence acquisition scenario and current market considerations, the managements of M&M and BAE Systems have decided that Mahindra's 100 per cent subsidiary Mahindra Defence Systems will acquire BAE Systems' 26 per cent shareholding in the DLSI joint venture."

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views, opinions and comments posted are your, and are not endorsed by this website. You shall be solely responsible for the comment posted here. The website reserves the right to delete, reject, or otherwise remove any views, opinions and comments posted or part thereof. You shall ensure that the comment is not inflammatory, abusive, derogatory, defamatory &/or obscene, or contain pornographic matter and/or does not constitute hate mail, or violate privacy of any person (s) or breach confidentiality or otherwise is illegal, immoral or contrary to public policy. Nor should it contain anything infringing copyright &/or intellectual property rights of any person(s).
comments powered by Disqus