M S Dhoni wants openers to adapt to two-ball theory in ODIs
- Proponents of Article 370 should say how it has helped J&K: Rajnath Singh
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police, agrees to hear Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- India does not need a govt that makes Hindus fight Muslims: Rahul
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Pt Channulal Mishra backs Modi but Bismillah's family won't
Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni today said that the new ODI rules may have a role in the continuous no-show of the openers but expects them to adapt to the changed regulations for the good of the struggling team.
Now, two news balls are used from each end and the pacers are also allowed two bouncers in an over.
Gautam Gambhir and Virender Sehwag have failed to set a good platform for the middle order batsmen for some time and the latter was today replaced by young batsman Ajinkya Rahane for today's match against Pakistan.
However, the script did not change with the replacement as India yet again struggled to negotiate the fiery fast bowling spell of the visitors.
Dhoni said India badly needed its openers to do well with the England series just around the corner.
"We have to be a little patient with the openers. The bowling was good and the pitch offered some help. Also with two new balls being used from both the ends, it may be a reason for them not doing well. But we want out openers to do well as we as a team rely on them," Dhoni said after India edged past Pakistan by 10 runs for a face-saving win.
Asked about Sehwag's ouster from the side, Dhoni said it was last minute change to give those players a chance who were on the sidelines.
Sehwag has also been dropped from the Indian squad for the first three matches of the five-ODI series against England, starting January 14.
Dhoni credited the whole team for today's win and specifically praised the athletic fielding.
"Victory makes you feel good. It was a team effort, fielding was good. We saved about 20 runs and its impact in the games, which are not high scoring, is huge. The fast bowlers gave us the breakthrough and then the spinners did well. Overall it was outstanding fielding, barring a catch that was dropped," he said.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota