Maderna wife, Mamta Sharma in Congress second list
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Polling stopped in Pune booth due to faulty EVMs
- âWonât be vindictive... will ask Supreme Court to clear MP, MLA cases in a yearâ
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- Plea to vote for âsecular partyâ splits Bollywood
- âWe gave instant justice, todayâs youth canât stand up for their mothersâ
The Congress succumbed to pressure from its tainted but influential leaders in Rajasthan as the party Saturday gave tickets to the family members of two of its controversial figures — Mahipal Maderna and Babulal Nagar.
Maderna's wife Leela and Nagar's brother Hazarilal are among the 71 candidates announced by the party. While Hazarilal has been fielded from the reserved seat of Dudu, Leela has been given ticket from Osian. National Commission for Women chief Mamta Sharma has been given the ticket from Bundi.
Nagar, also a former minister, was arrested by the CBI last month after being accused of raping and assaulting a 35-year-old woman. Among the others who bagged ticket include Revenue minister Hemaram Choudhary, who had resigned from the state Cabinet earlier this year over shifting of the Barmer oil refinery site from Lilala to Pachparda. Considered a Gehlot loyalist, his resignation was not accepted by the CM.
Rajasthan Congress president Chandrabhan is the other prominent name on the list. He has been fielded from Mandawa seat. The party has also nominated the son of Gujarat Govenor Kamla Beniwal, while Alok Beniwal has been fielded from the Shahpura seat.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18