Maderna wife, Mamta Sharma in Congress second list
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
The Congress succumbed to pressure from its tainted but influential leaders in Rajasthan as the party Saturday gave tickets to the family members of two of its controversial figures — Mahipal Maderna and Babulal Nagar.
Maderna's wife Leela and Nagar's brother Hazarilal are among the 71 candidates announced by the party. While Hazarilal has been fielded from the reserved seat of Dudu, Leela has been given ticket from Osian. National Commission for Women chief Mamta Sharma has been given the ticket from Bundi.
Nagar, also a former minister, was arrested by the CBI last month after being accused of raping and assaulting a 35-year-old woman. Among the others who bagged ticket include Revenue minister Hemaram Choudhary, who had resigned from the state Cabinet earlier this year over shifting of the Barmer oil refinery site from Lilala to Pachparda. Considered a Gehlot loyalist, his resignation was not accepted by the CM.
Rajasthan Congress president Chandrabhan is the other prominent name on the list. He has been fielded from Mandawa seat. The party has also nominated the son of Gujarat Govenor Kamla Beniwal, while Alok Beniwal has been fielded from the Shahpura seat.