Madhavan chosen as PETA Person of the Year
- Disquiet in BJP as M M Joshi, Sushma raise questions
- Nandan Nilekani, Mohammad Kaif in Congressâs first list for 194 seats
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Naidu
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Kejriwal joins list of VIPs with âZâ category security
Film actor R Madhavan has been chosen as 'Person of the Year' by animal rights advocacy group People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).
The "Tanu Weds Manu" star has been chosen for the honour for actively promoting vegetarianism "as the best way to help stop animal suffering, cut down on pollution, fight climate change and improve your health," PETA said in a statement.
"Madhavan is a long-time friend of PETA and has often volunteered his time to defend the rights of animals... (he) bolstered PETA's Kentucky Fried Cruelty campaign by sending a letter to the CEO of KFC's parent company, Yum! Brands, urging him to adopt PETA's recommendations to stop the worst abuses of chickens who are killed for KFC ¿ including scalding birds to death," it said.
His significant contribution to PETA was his narrating "Glass Walls", a video expose on meat industry, it said.
The award has been sent to the actor, it added.
- Priest Murder Case: Two more priests take narco test
- Nilekani gets Cong nod for B’lore South
- Independents, smaller parties throng Ralegan Siddhi for Hazare’s support
- 12 MPs retained as BJP announces first state list
- Modi’s Chai pe Charcha part II a women’s day out
- Thank God I am not killed in encounter, says Kejriwal