Madhavan chosen as PETA Person of the Year
- 5 officers killed as IAFâs new showpiece Super Hercules crashes near Gwalior
- Will chop Modi to pieces if he does a Gujarat here, says Cong candidate in divided Saharanpur
- In posters, Modi to claim Atal legacy
- In rerun of Samba attack, terrorists target Army camp in Jammu, kill 3
- SC makes Gavaskar BCCI chief for IPL, no role for Srinivasan
Film actor R Madhavan has been chosen as 'Person of the Year' by animal rights advocacy group People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).
The "Tanu Weds Manu" star has been chosen for the honour for actively promoting vegetarianism "as the best way to help stop animal suffering, cut down on pollution, fight climate change and improve your health," PETA said in a statement.
"Madhavan is a long-time friend of PETA and has often volunteered his time to defend the rights of animals... (he) bolstered PETA's Kentucky Fried Cruelty campaign by sending a letter to the CEO of KFC's parent company, Yum! Brands, urging him to adopt PETA's recommendations to stop the worst abuses of chickens who are killed for KFC ¿ including scalding birds to death," it said.
His significant contribution to PETA was his narrating "Glass Walls", a video expose on meat industry, it said.
The award has been sent to the actor, it added.
- I shake hands with every woman I meet… It leaves a lasting impact: Jannat
- Kadam, Vyavahare, Bagwe in Congress star campaigners’ list
- Modi rally: Traffic snarls likely today
- Cong MLC goes to EC, complains against Ramdev
- Customs officials dispose of drugs worth Rs 64.67 lakh
- State warned of contempt on failing to disburse hail-aid in time