Madhuri Dixit: My contemporaries are doing great in Bollywood
- All attempts being made to free soldier in Pakistan captivity: Rajnath Singh
- SC cancels Mohammad Shahabuddin's bail, orders police to take him into custody
- Congress and I stand by PM Narendra Modi: Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- Bihar liquor ban: Patna HC strikes down govt's prohibition law, terms it 'illegal'
- LIVE: PM Modi calls second Cabinet Committee on Security meet
Actress Madhuri Dixit, who ruled 80's and 90's, feels that contrary to the perception that her contemporary actresses are faded in oblivion they are in fact going strong even today.
The dhak dhak girl, whose item song Ghagra with Ranbir Kapoor is topping the charts of late, is one of the judges in the dance reality show Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa and has two films Gulab Gang and Dedh Ishqiya in her hand.
Even though actors Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan, Aamir Khan, Akshay Kumar, Ajay Devgn – all in their 40's – are ruling Bollywood even today, heroines who starred opposite them in their heydays are either faded away from arc lights or content with character roles but Madhuri believes it is not the case.
"It is great to see all actors up there. They all have worked hard. Juhi Chawla, Kajol, Sridevi all are doing wonderful work today. One should not generalise that actresses of our times are not around, it is not right.
"All these ladies are doing good work. They are going strong. They are making their own space," the actress told PTI.
Even after her marriage with US-based Dr Shriram Nene in 1999, Madhuri continued to act in films.
"I have always worked. Even after getting married and going there (US) I did Devdas, Lajja, Pukar, Hum Tumhare Hai Sanam, Aaja Nach Le, Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa. I did a lot of work after marriage. So it was not that I left and went. I have always been here," she said.
Madhuri dismissed reports that she will be performing a special song in Sanjay Leela Bhansali's upcoming magnum opus Ram Leela with Ranveer Singh.
"Nobody has approached me for the song. And there is no talk about it. I don't know from where these stories are coming from," she said.
- The emergence of Akhilesh Yadav as a popular leader is an indicator of the same-old in the SP
- Poverty caused by expenditure on health has doubled in India in the past 15 years
- India’s aggressive response to Nawaz Sharif’s lies at the UN was a clear indicator of the things to come
- Let’s not allow debate about what it means to be Indian to be held hostage to jingoists and bigots
- People, policymakers can be led by subtly influencing their choice architecture
- Edit - Defining moment