Madras HC quashes detention of MLA, 16 others under Goondas Act
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Record 79 pc polling in Bengal; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs RCB: RCB pick early wicket as Starc removes Mayank
Madras High Court today quashed the detention of CPI MLA T Ramachandran and 16 others, accused in a murder case, under the stringent Goondas Act. A Division Bench comprising Justices K N Basha and P Devadass allowed the petitions challenging the detention of Ramachandran and 16 others.
The bench said the detention orders had been passed by the
Krishnagiri District Collector without application of mind, in a mechanical fashion and in the absence of cogent material available on record. Ramachandran had on July 30 last year surrendered before a court in Tiruvannamalai in connection with the murder of Periyar Dravidar Kazhagam Krishnagiri District Convener T Palani.
After a case was registered against the accused, the Goondas Act was invoked against them on the orders of the Krishnagiri District Collector.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18