Madras HC quashes detention of MLA, 16 others under Goondas Act
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats BJP PM candidate Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi attacks Gandhis, says family going strong for 60 years, time to build a strong nation
Madras High Court today quashed the detention of CPI MLA T Ramachandran and 16 others, accused in a murder case, under the stringent Goondas Act. A Division Bench comprising Justices K N Basha and P Devadass allowed the petitions challenging the detention of Ramachandran and 16 others.
The bench said the detention orders had been passed by the
Krishnagiri District Collector without application of mind, in a mechanical fashion and in the absence of cogent material available on record. Ramachandran had on July 30 last year surrendered before a court in Tiruvannamalai in connection with the murder of Periyar Dravidar Kazhagam Krishnagiri District Convener T Palani.
After a case was registered against the accused, the Goondas Act was invoked against them on the orders of the Krishnagiri District Collector.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target against Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'