Magnitude 6.0 earthquake unnerves Kazakhstan's largest city Almaty
- Somnath Bharti surrenders before police, says was not evading arrest
- Strong evidence of flowing salt water on Mars: Study
- Obama at UNGA, asks world to unite in fight against terrorism
- Congress insulting Modi's devotion to his mother is pathetic: BJP
- No evidence against ex-PM Manmohan Singh in coal scam case: CBI to court
A magnitude 6.0 earthquake has hit southeastern Kazakhstan, causing apartment buildings to sway in the country's largest city, Almaty.
The US Geological Survey reported that the temblor hit at 22:38 pm local time (2108 IST) today and that the epicenter was in a remote mountainous area near the border with Western China and Kyrgyzstan.
The shallow tremors were also felt in the capital of neighbouring Kyrgyzstan. No damage had been reported by late Monday.
Central Asia is a seismically active area.