Mahant Chotu Nath spends Rs 10 lakh to buy fancy registration number - CH 01 AR 0001
- BJP rubbishes Geelani's claim, calls separatist leader's 'Modi emissary talk' as 'false and mischievous'
- Modi's jibe at Mulayam: âBalaatkariyon ke liye Netaji ka mann ekdum mulayam haiâ
- Malaysian Airlines MH370: 4 questions about missing plane answered
- After denying a 'Modi wave', Joshi endorses Modi as India's next PM
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Rahul Gandhi's vision is limited to 'toffees and balloons', says Raman Singh
From former policemen to agriculturists to businessmen, the love for fancy registration numbers in the city continues unabated. Now add to that list the people in long robes and long locks.
At the auction for fancy registration numbers by the Registering and Licensing Authority (RLA) on Monday, the prized number, CH 01 AR 0001, went under the hammer for a whopping Rs 10.05 lakh, and it was bought by Mahant Chotu Nath of Gorakhnath Dera defeating seven other bidders.
RLA officials confirmed that the number had been bought for an AUDI Q7 worth Rs 55 lakh. When asked about his car, the mahant claimed, "I do not have a car for the number." On further questioning, he said, "I will use it for my residence."
Sources say he is heading the Nath sect and has magnificent deras, with thousands of followers in Haridwar, Badrinath and Abohar. According to one of his followers, he owns many SUVs and automobiles with similar single-digit numbers bought from Haryana and Punjab.
The second highest number during the auction held on Monday was CH 01 AR 0100 which fetched Rs 4.2 lakh.