Maharashtra for harsher eve-teasing law
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A, says it violates right to speech
- Pakistan Day: PM greets, MoS VK Singh tweets #disgust
- DK Ravi's death: Govt calls in CBI, tells court he had a ‘relationship’ with batchmate
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed says will take Army into confidence on AFSPA
- 1987 Hashimpura massacre: The photographs that stand witness
Concerned over the spate of eve-teasing cases in the state, the Maharashtra government is considering a proposal to make it a non-bailable offence.
Union Minister for Women and Child Welfare Varsha Gaikwad told PTI that she would discuss the issue with Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and set up a committee comprising social workers and women legislators to examine a draft bill called the Maharashtra Prohibition of Eveteasing and Harassment of Women Act, prepared by the Help Mumbai Foundation.
A delegation from the NGO met Gaikwad and submitted a memorandum along with the proposed bill, demanding that it be tabled in the state legislature so that a law with sufficient teeth is enacted to protect women from eve-teasing and sexual harassment.