Maharashtra provides VIP security to fewer people: Patil
- Malaysia signals missing plane carrying 239 including 5 Indians has crashed
- Disquiet in BJP as M M Joshi, Sushma raise questions over selected candidates and seat sharing
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Venkaiah Naidu
- Rest in freeze: Is Ashutosh Maharaj 40-day âclinically deadâ or a guru in a very long meditation?
Admitting that police security of the VIPs should be reduced, Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil said the state government provided security to fewer VIPs, compared to other states.
"The number of persons who get VIP security is low," he claimed.
A committee headed by the Chief Secretary reviews the security of the VIPs routinely, he added.
The Supreme Court had yesterday remarked that police personnel engaged in VIP security can be used for better purposes like making the roads safe for women.