Mahasweta ‘warms up’ to Didi again
- Siachen avalanche: Lance Naik Hanamanthappa passes away three days after miraculous rescue
- Dr RK Pachauri goes on leave as TERI Chancellor, won't attend March 7 convocation
- Ishrat Jahan's mother on Headley deposition: Ploy by those guilty to salvage their names
- Write-offs a scam, small loans rarely in it, says former RBI Deputy Governor
- David Headley received money from ISI, LeT and Dr Rana
After 10 months of apparent estrangement, author Mahasweta Devi was today seen sharing a platform with Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee at the inauguration of the Mati Festival in Panagarh, Burdwan.
Mahashweta Devi had openly supported Mamata's call for poriborton in Bengal, but relations between them had soured over time.
"We have got Mamata after 34 years and hope that whatever work has not been done over the last 34 years will be completed by her," Mahasweta Devi said, adding that the Mamata-led government is in the real sense a government for the poor.
Inaugurating "Mati Utshab (Festival of the Soil)", Mahasweta Devi announced that the state would assist Baul artistes with Rs 2,500 each. She welcomed the government's initiative of digging ponds under Jal Dharo Jal Bharo scheme and providing houses to fishermen.