Mahasweta ‘warms up’ to Didi again
- Rohtak rally: Ambani, Modi, Rahul, media â all are corrupt, says Arvind Kejriwal
- Donât discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit to Shinde
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
After 10 months of apparent estrangement, author Mahasweta Devi was today seen sharing a platform with Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee at the inauguration of the Mati Festival in Panagarh, Burdwan.
Mahashweta Devi had openly supported Mamata's call for poriborton in Bengal, but relations between them had soured over time.
"We have got Mamata after 34 years and hope that whatever work has not been done over the last 34 years will be completed by her," Mahasweta Devi said, adding that the Mamata-led government is in the real sense a government for the poor.
Inaugurating "Mati Utshab (Festival of the Soil)", Mahasweta Devi announced that the state would assist Baul artistes with Rs 2,500 each. She welcomed the government's initiative of digging ponds under Jal Dharo Jal Bharo scheme and providing houses to fishermen.
Mamata took up the brush and canvas for Bauls. "I will donate the sales proceeds of these paintings for poor Baul singers," she said.
- ‘Irrespective of the noise, BJP won’t get so many seats. There is craze for Modi, but how much translates into votes is difficult to say’
- Hindus should 'produce' at least 5 children, says VHP leader Ashok Singhal
- AMU teachers body to boycott Mulayam visit
- Mulayam, Akhilesh woo Brahmins, Muslims
- ‘Sting’ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Don’t discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit writes to Shinde