Main runway to be shut during daytime till Feb 7 for upgrade
- TV channels threaten to blackout Kejriwal campaign
- Missing Malaysian jet: India clears its passengers
- BJP reacts angrily to Rahul Gandhi raking up 2002 riots issue
- BJP's 'Chai Pe Charcha' may run into Election Commission trouble
- The trophy state: Behind Mizoram's clean sweep lies an extraordinary league
But changing of the glide angle from 3.3 to 3 degrees requires relocation of the glide path hut and DME antenna to a new location which is 71 meters from the current location along with other complexities, he added.
"So, due to the complexities involved in the process, this work was so far not undertaken by the AAI. Now if the flight trial of the new procedures are found to be successful, we will have 3 degree ILS from February 7. So, the airport will not have ILS approach for runway 27 till that time," the spokesperson said.
This means that if visibility drops, all flights would land on the secondary runway or on the 09-end of the main runway, and this would lead to a 15-20 minutes delays.
The airport has two intersecting runways-- the 11,000 feet long main runway (O9/27) and the 9,500-meter long secondary (14/32).