Maintenance suit: Man to file tax returns
- Kashmir: 3 militants dead after attack at army camp in Handwara, medicines with Pak marking recovered
- The whitewash: Probe alleges Rohith Vemula's mother faked Dalit status, blames him for his suicide
- BCCI refute allegations of non-compliance with Lodha panel in Supreme Court
- Jayalalithaa's health: Madras HC dismisses petition, says filed for publicity, political reasons
- Government study finds toxins in PET bottles of 5 soft drink brands
A Noida resident has been asked by a court here to submit his income tax returns and bank statements of the last five years to reach a "fair" decision on his estranged wife's plea for alimony from him.
District Judge (DJ) Sunita Gupta gave the order upholding a trial court's order directing the man to file the requisite documents on the ground that they are "very material" in reaching a proper decision in the case.
"Directions by the metropolitan magistrate vide impugned order were given just to arrive at a fair conclusion of the trial. No fault can be found with the said order..," the judge said.
The husband had approached the sessions court challenging the August 7 order of the trial court to him to file his IT returns and bank statements.
He had said the magistrate's order should be set aside as it was passed when the adjudication of the plea for alimony was about to end.
He told the court that the maintenance petition was filed against him by his wife in March 2007 on "false and frivolous ground with ulterior motives".
The DJ, however, dismissed his arguments saying he had not filed before the trial court his salary certificate or other relevant documents showing his income.
- Revealing Elena Ferrante’s identity violates her desire for privacy
- Breakdown of LoC ceasefire will make it difficult for army to control infiltration
- Academic publishers suit shows how much they benefitted from intellectual commons
- Lack of unity has prevented Sindhi nationalists from pressuring Islamabad
- India must be prepared to deal with a disease that is growing globally
- Challenge for India’s leaders is to show that strength can be blended with subtlety & deftness