Major fire destroys Thane chemical unit
- Mamata Banerjee govt saving those involved in Saradha scam: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP rubbishes Geelani's claim, calls separatist leader's 'Modi emissary talk' as 'false and mischievous'
- Gadkari says there's casteism in Bihar DNA then retracts by saying he meant 'political' DNA
- At least Modi-led govt wonât be remote-controlled, says Anna
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, RCB vs MI: RCB recover after early strikes by MI
A major fire broke out in Thane's Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC) area, Boisar, on Saturday. The blaze, which destroyed an entire chemical unit manufacturing paints, took over six hours to be doused, said fire officials. While no injuries or casualties were reported, three manufacturing units were gutted, they said. The fire broke out at DR Coats around 12.30 pm and was doused at 5.30 pm, they said.
Senior Inspector Uttam Sonawane of MIDC Boisar police station said, "The paint manufacturing unit had resin, a highly inflammable chemical. Investigation indicates that chemical spilled on to floor and an electric pump on premises caused a spark that led to fire. The exact cause is yet to be ascertained." Over 15 labourers were working in factory at the time, said Sonawane.
"The unit contained many inflammable chemicals and the fire spread. A foam machine was called in," said an official. Workers from nearby factories were evacuated as the cooling operations were in progress, the official said.
The health and safety department of the MIDC will conduct a detailed inquiry into the incident, even as a case of accidental fire has been registered, said Sonawane.
Fire in Nagpada building, 2 injured
A fire broke out in 12-storeyed apartment located on Arab lane in Nagpada injuring two persons. It took over two hours for eight fire engines and six water tankers to douse the fire in two flats.