Make no mistake
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
Make no mistake
BSP leader Mayawati must be hailed for taking a firm stand on reservation in promotion for SCs and STs in government jobs ('SP isolated as Rajya Sabha clears quota Bill', IE, December 18). It is possible that her strong position helped the Rajya Sabha to pass the bill quickly. A quota for Muslims, as Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav demands, is unlikely to have a political effect. If Yadav is serious about the upliftment of Muslims, he should empower them politically in his party. How many tickets did the SP give Muslims in its recently declared list of probables for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections?
— S. Faizan Musanna
Third time lucky
GUJARAT voted for what seems to be corruption-free and efficient governance ('I'm your man: Hat-trick Modi to India', IE, December 21). Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi seems to aim at development and has attempted to make Gujarat an industry-friendly state with continuous power supply.
— Lokesh Nagpal
DOESN'T it strike legislators that India's crime rate is alarmingly high ('Sheila seeks draft law to turn Delhi gangrape outrage into action', IE, December 21)? One possible reason for this is the lazy legal process. The largely toothless law doesn't seem to instil enough fear in the minds of potential criminals.
— Priyashree Pal
THIS refers to 'Crime and Control' (IE, December 20). The problem does not lie only with the five accused of the gang-rape in Delhi. It lies with all of us who have contributed to creating a deplorable society where women are treated as mere objects of entertainment. We seem to indulge in or ignore eve-teasing, and allow some events to escalate into cases like this. Let's teach ourselves and more importantly, our children to respect women of all ages and classes.
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express