Makeover for Satya Paul
- National Herald case: Supreme Court orders Sonia, Rahul Gandhi to face trial
- 26/11 Mumbai attackers were getting directions from control room in Karachi, admits Headley
- Anti-India acts cannot be tolerated, say Rajnath, Smriti on JNU row
- 26/11 deposition: Sparks fly after Headley repeats Ishrat-LeT link
- Gravitational waves: A leap towards theory of everything
While growing up in the late '80s, Masaba Gupta often watched her mother, TV actor Neena Gupta, drape Satya Paul saris while going out. Fluid fabrics and bright colours were the brand's signature and it was this that, in a way, influenced Masaba's creativity. Today, the 24-year-old fashion designer has been appointed the fashion director of the House of Satya Paul, with a two-year contract. "When I was approached by Genesis Colors about a month ago, I was ecstatic and shocked. In our industry, another designer has never been asked to head a different label," says Masaba.
Apart from this new profile, the designer will continue to work for her own brand, Masaba, which she set up in 2009. "I will not be handling the business angle at Satya Paul; my job is to give it a more contemporary look. I do not intend to tamper with the brand's USP," she says.
Sanjay Kapoor, MD of Genesis Colors, says, "Masaba embodies the perfect Satya Paul woman — she's young, smart, confident, and stylish. Among the designers we were in talks with, Masaba's creative energy was closest to the Satya Paul brand." Interestingly, the new Satya Paul collection and the next Masaba range will be out around the same time — in March-April 2013.