Making broadband affordable for all
- Porn ban: Govt lifts ban on websites sans child pornography
- Mumbai attacks: Five explosive revelations made by Tariq Khosa
- Parliamentary panel on land bill postpones meet following suspension of Congress MP
- Combative Opposition stalls Parliament proceedings
- Missing Pawan Hans chopper sighted, rescue operation to resume tomorrow
As per studies conducted, broadband provided through licensed spectrum is at present unaffordable for 61% of the world's population, and naturally for a much higher percentage in India. Since it is important that broadband reaches the masses, innovative allocation methodologies suggested above for additional incremental spectrum will have to be considered and implemented. Only then will we be able to serve them with much needed value-added services and applications for their lifestyles, resulting in overall societal welfare.
The author is former disinvestment secretary, power, and chairman, Trai. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org