Malegaon blast: MCOCA court grants bail to all 9 accused
A special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court today granted bail to all nine accused in the 2006 Malegaon bomb blast case.
Earlier, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Saturday informed the court that it would not oppose the bail plea of the nine accused facing the charges.
This was stated by prosecutor Rohini Salian to judge Y D Shinde who took on record a reply filed by the NIA on bail applications filed by all the nine accused.
NIA contended that during further investigation into the case after the revelation by Swami Aseemanand, arrested in Mecca Masjid bomb blast case, about the alleged involvement of a right-wing group, it had reviewed the evidence collected by previous investigating agencies ATS and CBI and also collected fresh evidence in the form of documentary and oral evidence.
"After due deliberations a decision was taken on the basis of facts and circumstances not to oppose the bail applications of all the nine accused who were earlier arrested and charge sheeted," NIA said.
"The NIA, however, would not admit any contentions of the accused in the bail petitions so far as they relate to the chargesheet filed by previous investigating agencies, so also the facts and circumstances which came to light during the investigation by NIA if they are also traversed by the accused," it said.
The investigating officer had placed new findings and circumstances in the form of evidence before the superior officer for taking a view whether the bail application of the accused should be opposed in the court or not at this stage. Further investigations are in progress to collect more evidence for arriving at a definite conclusion, NIA said.
The court adjourned the matter and would hear the parties after lunch.
In the wake of Swami Aseemanand's confession that pointed to a right-wing group's involvement in the case, the nine accused had sought bail. Aseemanand had been arrested for his alleged role in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blasts.