Mamata Banerjee cancels meet with PM Manmohan Singh in wake of attack
- Real estate bill: BJP hits back at Rahul Gandhi, asks if he visited hail-affected farmers in Amethi
- Mumbai: Assistant sub-inspector shoots senior, self in Vakola police station
- Moga bus molestation: Deputy CM Sukhbir Singh orders Orbit buses off the road amid protests
- Three killed, 16 injured in accident at Harduaganj thermal station
- Amarnath Yatra: Nirmal Singh hits back at Geelani, says separatists have become 'irrelevant'
A crucial meeting between West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, scheduled for this evening, was cancelled at the last minute against the backdrop of her anger over protests by Left activists she faced at the Planning Commission.
Sources said Banerjee sought cancellation of the meeting, saying she was unwell and her blood pressure had dipped.
"Today's meeting has been cancelled. We will ask for a new date to meet the Prime Minister," sources close to Banerjee said.
Banerjee will be in Delhi till Thursday but no meeting is expected now as the Prime Minister is leaving tomorrow morning for Germany and will return only on Friday night.
Banerjee had earlier said she would demand the "rightful share" for the state from the Prime Minister at this meeting.
"I am going to Delhi to seek justice. ... We want to know why Bengal is deprived. We will also protest against the economic blockade by the Centre," the Chief Minister had said yesterday.