Mamata Banerjee's Trinamool Congress and CPI(M) workers clash, 20 injured
- 9 killed, over 40 injured as Bengaluru-Ernakulam Express train derails near Hosur
- SC says allegations grave, but grants relief to Teesta Setalvad in cheating case
- All you need to know about AAP's WiFi Delhi promise
- 19 killed as militants storm Shia mosque in Pakistan
- Modi’s cricket diplomacy: Renewing political contact with Pakistan
The local committee office of CPI(M) was set ablaze as at least 20 persons were injured during a clash between the Marxists and Trinamool Congress activists at Rajganj in Jalpaiguri district today.
Police said the clash began over the managing committee election of Rajganj High School and supporters from both sides got injured.
While Trinamool Congress MLA Khageswar Roy claimed 20 of their activists suffered injuries in the clash, the CPI(M) alleged 30 party supporters were hurt as "Trinamool men carried on unprovoked attack."
Following the clash, the CPI(M) local office at Pukurjan gram panchayat area under Rajganj block was set ablaze but the Trinamool claimed the left party itself conspired to torch the office to put the onus on the ruling party.
A police picket was posted in the area.