Mamata Banerjee's Trinamool Congress workers assault cops, vandalise police station
- Elections 2014 LIVE: 60 pc voting in Bengal till 1 pm; Jaitley slams Rahul over 'ullu' barb
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- Is there a vikas vote? Healthier babies make not a whimper on campaign pitch in Hazaribagh
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
Mamata Banerjee's Trinamool Congress workers today assaulted three policemen on duty and vandalised a police station in West Bengal's North 24 Parganas district, officials said here.
Police said the TMC workers had gone to Bongaon police station to submit a deputation against a local gram panchayat member for allegedly swindling MNREGA funds.
Trouble broke out when the party workers enraged with the absence of the officer-in-charge went on a rampage and assaulted three policemen and smashed furniture of the police station, they said.
Senior police officers rushed to the spot and brought the situation under control.
When contacted, TMC district president Nirmal Ghosh said the incident was the reaction of local people against the gram panchayat member for swindling people's money.
"Somebody may have been carrying our party flag but we do not support any act of vandalism. Law will take its own course," he said.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18