Mamata Banerjee's Trinamool Congress workers assault cops, vandalise police station
- Election Live: Narendra Modi addresses rally in Purnia, attacks Third Front
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- Raj Thackeray warms up to Narendra Modi, lets Sena feel the heat
- Uttar Pradesh BJP wants tickets for four riot-accused MLAs
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
Mamata Banerjee's Trinamool Congress workers today assaulted three policemen on duty and vandalised a police station in West Bengal's North 24 Parganas district, officials said here.
Police said the TMC workers had gone to Bongaon police station to submit a deputation against a local gram panchayat member for allegedly swindling MNREGA funds.
Trouble broke out when the party workers enraged with the absence of the officer-in-charge went on a rampage and assaulted three policemen and smashed furniture of the police station, they said.
Senior police officers rushed to the spot and brought the situation under control.
When contacted, TMC district president Nirmal Ghosh said the incident was the reaction of local people against the gram panchayat member for swindling people's money.
"Somebody may have been carrying our party flag but we do not support any act of vandalism. Law will take its own course," he said.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress