Mamata issues gag order on ministers
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- Subrata Roy to remain in Tihar, Supreme Court calls Sahara's proposal "dishonourable"
- Arvind Kejriwal stopped on way to meet Narendra Modi
- Modi's next round of Chai pe charcha doesn't have police permission yet
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
With dissent brewing in the TMC, party chief Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday asked her Cabinet colleagues not to hold press conference in haste, keeping the party in the dark.
Mamata summoned all her ministers at her chamber and issued a set of instructions. "She asked all of us not to hold press conference in haste as she feels that some ministers are holding press conferences frequently. She ordered all of us to keep safe distance from the media," said one of the ministers.
Her orders came at a time when two ministers — Rabindranath Bhattacharjee and Rabiranjan Chattopadhyay — have embarrassed the party by openly speaking against it and MLA Sovondeb Chatterjee has protested after he being roughed up by party activists at the Calcutta University. Minister of State for Statistics and Programme Implementation Rabindranath again embarrassed the TMC by skipping Wednesday's meet.
Without referring to Sovondeb and Rabindranath, Mamata on Wednesday told her ministers that "no one is bigger than the party", a minister said. "The CM wants her Cabinet colleagues to visit districts after certain intervals instead of spending time at the Writers Buildings," said one of the ministers.