Mamata orders security beef-up at VIP car park near Writers’
- Dadri: Outrage after mob lynches man for allegedly consuming beef
- At United Nations, Pak PM Sharif plays his old tune on Kashmir
- 2006 Mumbai train blasts: Death sentence for 5 convicts, life for 7
- Modi's foreign visits need to be backed up with action on ground: Rajan
- Diesel rates up by 50 paise from midnight tonight, no change in petrol price
The VIP parking zone in front of Writers' Buildings will be brought under electronic surveillance to step up security in the area according to the orders of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
Apart from the underground car parking zone, the adjacent pavements will also be brought under the electronic surveillance system, a senior PWD official said.
Police officers feel that movement of people around the parking zone needs to be closely monitored. It has been decided that 48 close circuit cameras will be installed in the parking zone and surrounding pavements. Based on a police report, the chief minister ordered introduction of electronic surveillance in the area.
"The security of the parking is overseen by a private agency engaged by the state civil defence department," the official said. About 400 cars of ministers and senior government officials are kept in the underground parking zone.