Mamata sells development to Nandigram ahead of polls
- Malaysian airlines might have disintegrated mid-air
- Out of the 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by Modi: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress
- Varanasi seat row: RSS worried but believes BJP will solve it
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
Prior to panchayat polls, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, on Tuesday announced a slew of development proposals, including an industrial cluster, at Nandigram, which catapulted her to power.
"An industrial cluster will be set up at Nayachar on 4,500 acres of land to provide direct employment to 10,000 people and a tourism cluster of international standards on 268 acres which will boost the economy of the area," Banerjee told a rally at Khejuri here in East Midnapore district.
Mamata reiterated her government's stand that it would not acquire land forcibly anywhere in the state. However, she emphasised that land would be taken where it is necessary for development of infrastructure.
Countering CPM's criticism for her government's alleged failure on the industrial front, she said "They were in power for 34 years, but they did not do anything. They had no other work than resorting to firing and capturing."
She said that the struggle against land acquisition was like another freedom struggle for people in the area.