Mamata writes to Prez for urgent action
- Elections 2014 Live: Elections 2014 Live: Uma promises separate Bundelkhand, Meira fails to vote in Delhi
- Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, says she is playing vote bank politics
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- NSCN (IM) takes over Manipur booths, loads EVMs with votes
- Narendra Modi mentions wife Jashodaben in poll affidavit for first time
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Thursday wrote to President Pranab Mukherjee asking him to take "appropriate action" urgently against the "grave misconduct" of former Supreme Court judge A K Ganguly accused by a young woman law intern of sexually harassing her.
"Today, I have already addressed a letter to the Hon'ble President of India for taking appropriate action urgently for the grave misconduct committed by Retd Justice A K Ganguly," Mamata said in a Facebook post.
Mamata's first comments on the issue came on a day when a Supreme Court committee of three judges indicted Ganguly for his "unwelcome behaviour" and "conduct of sexual nature" towards the law intern and BJP and Trinamool Congress' demand for his resignation as chief of West Bengal Human Rights Commission grew louder.
"Strong action is essential at this moment to enable people to repose trust and faith to the sanctity of the high office he holds," Mamata said.
Earlier in the day, BJP and TMC agains raised the demand that Ganguly resign as chief of WBHRC.
"Since the Supreme Court panel has indicted Justice Ganguli for his unwelcome behaviour, his continuation as Chairman WBHRC is most unwelcome," BJP leader Sushma Swaraj, who is the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha, said on Twitter.
TMC's Lok Sabha member Saugata Roy said Ganguly should forthwith resign to "save his own face and save the prestige of the high office which he holds."
"The problem is that since the so-called offence is committed in Delhi, the Kolkata police cannot do anything in the matter and only the Delhi police can take action. However, if a PIL is filed in Delhi High Court, it can take action," he added.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi