Man accused of harassing wife ‘drinks poison’ inside police post
- Why Germanwings flight A320 might have crashed over the French Alps
- Indian Navy surveillance aircraft crashes in Goa; two officers missing
- Section 66A: 21 individuals whose petitions changed the system
- Government is willing to compromise on land bill: Venkaiah Naidu
- A little reminder: No one in House debated Section 66A, Congress brought it and BJP backed it
A 32-year-old shopkeeper attempted to commit suicide inside Crime Against Woman Cell in South Delhi's South Campus on Tuesday afternoon, police said.
Raj Kumar of Sonepat has been accused of dowry harassment by his wife and the couple was called to the police station for counseling.
Police said the couple was called to the cell to discuss and settle the matter in front of an investigating officer and other officers. "While the session was on, Kumar pulled out a bottle of rat poison from his pocket and gulped the contents down. He also consumed a few pills. Then he started shouting that he does not want to live," an officer said.
The bottle was snatched from him and he was taken to hospital.
After he recovered, police charged him with attempted suicide and arrested him. "We will question his wife and relatives to ascertain if Kumar had attempted suicide earlier also," the officer said.