Man beaten to death by baraatis, 4 held
- My government will not be vindictive: Narendra Modi on Robert Vadra
- Serious allegations against N Srinivasan in IPL spot-fixing probe report, keep him away from BCCI: Supreme Court
- Rahul tears into Narendra Modi's 'toffee model' development in Gujarat
- Karnataka: At least six burnt to death, 12 injured as bus catches fire
- Preview: Former champs lock horns in heavyweight clash
Ashok Kumar, 47, was beaten to death by a group of people who had come to attend a wedding at Sham Palace in Hargobind Nagar on Wednesday.
Ashok and his elder brother Sunil were going on a motorbike on the Sham Palace road when a woman was crossing the road carrying her toddler son. Her dupatta was touching the ground and the motorbike happened to pass over that dupatta due to which the woman lost her balance and her child fell down on the ground. The child suffered minor injuries. This agitated the baraatis and they attacked the duo in which Ashok was beaten to death.
Police registered an FIR against the baraatis and arrested four persons on the spot. They are Amandeep, Abhishek, Manga Masih and Ashish Masih. Sources said a BJP leader of the area was supporting the baraatis, but police denied any political pressure.
SHO Randhir Singh said, "We have already arrested four persons and will be watching the CD of the marriage party after which we will make more arrests."
Residents of Chander Nagar, the two brothers had a shop in Hargobind Nagar. As per eyewitnesses, the duo felt sorry for the incident, but the baraatis took them inside a shop near the marriage palace and continued beating them.
The incident happened outside the office of councillor Sanjay Talwar, and reportedly, his private car took the brothers to CMCH Hospital where Ashok was declared dead. Sunil had suffered minor injuries.