Man behind midair scare gets bail
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi files his nomination from Varanasi, says technology upgradation and branding needed for development of Kashi
- From Marandi vs Soren to Deora vs Sanyal: Top 5 battles in Lok Sabha polls Phase 6
- PM Manmohan Singh dismisses Modi-wave in country
- Letter by Xavier's principal criticising Gujarat model taken down from college website
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: Slow voting in Mumbai, UP records 24 % in first four hours
A city court on Friday granted bail to 41-year-old Mursalin Sheikh, who was arrested on Wednesday and sent to judicial custody for a day for allegedly assaulting an airhostess and fellow passengers on a Mumbai-Delhi Indigo Airlines flight.
Sheikh was given bail on the ground that he was "mentally unstable".
Metropolitan Magistrate Pankaj Sharma ordered his release from judicial custody on the basis of medical documents. "Considering the medical report that the accused was mentally unstable, I am inclined to grant bail to applicant (Sheikh)," the court said.
The court on Thursday sent Sheikh to Tihar Jail for a day after reserving its order on his bail plea.
Sheikh's counsel Rajat Sharma had submitted the medical records provided by the family.
He told the court that Sheikh was not a "flight risk".
Sheikh, who is from Mumbai, allegedly turned violent on the IndiGo flight (6E196) which had taken off from Mumbai at 3.15 pm.
The flight was airborne for about an hour when Sheikh started the midair ruckus and even tried to rush to the cockpit, police said, quoting complaints from other passengers and the plane's crew.
He was finally restrained by members of the crew and fellow passengers, and handed over to the CISF after the plane landed at IGI Airport.
Police had registered a case of assault, outraging the modesty of a woman and criminal intimidation against him.
- Twitter cofounder talks of 26/11, Indian farmers in new book
- UP records over 24 pc voter turnout till 11 AM, 20 per cent turnout in Chhattisgarh
- Arvind Kejriwal lashes out at BJP for attack on Somnath Bharti
- ANF official accused of killing youth a gallantry award winner
- Maharashtra: Poor turnout till 9 am in third phase of polling
- Hyderabad blast 2013: Agencies hunt for Mangalore ‘source’