Man commits suicide inside police station
- Sitaram Yechury succeeds Karat as Pillai pulls out of race
- Rahul Gandhi attacks Modi at kisan rally, accuses him of being anti-poor
- This govt is for the poor: PM Modi to BJP MPs
- Maoist chief admits to loss of leaders, weakening base, asks cadres to open fronts
- Group of Ministers back, in ‘informal’ avatar
A 22-year-old youth, Luvkush, allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself with a scarf inside the washroom of the Churkhi police station in Jalaun on Thursday morning. The police had arrested him in a dowry death case.
The body has been sent for postmortem and its report is awaited. Jalaun Additional Superintendent of Police Lallan Singh ruled out any foul play and said it was a simple case of suicide. He added that there was no injury mark on his body.
A resident of Jalaun's Pipraunda village, Luvkush was a farmer. He married Rani from a nearby village around two years ago. On December 17, Rani allegedly set herself ablaze at their house over a trivial issue. Luvkush tried to save his wife and, in the attempt, also suffered burn injuries on hands. Rani was rushed to hospital where she was declared dead.
On December 19, Rani's elder brother Ram Awatar lodged an FIR against Luvkush, his father Ramesh, uncle Ram Prasad and three other family members on charges of dowry death. On Thursday the police brought Luvkush to the police station.