Man driving SUV takes wrong U-turn, kills cyclist
In an accident that took place at Matka Chowk on Tuesday, an SUV hit a cyclist, while taking a wrong U-turn near the Sectors 16, 17 roundabout. Sandeep, a college student, has been arrested by the UT police and booked on charges of rash driving. The cyclist, Monu (21), was declared dead on arrival to the hospital.
Monu was on his way from Sector 9, where he works as a salesman at a garment shop, to Nayagoan when the accident took place. Sandeep, a resident of Phase VI, Mohali, was driving the SUV. Sandeep lost control of the car while taking a wrong turn and after hitting Monu, he rammed the car into the round-about. After Monu was hit by the car, his head hit the divider, causing head injuries.
"Instead of taking a U-turn from the Matka Chowk round-about, Sandeep took a short cut. Monu was taken to Government Multi-Specialty Hospital, Sector 16, from where he was referred to Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, where the doctors declared him dead on arrival," said a police official.
The police took Sandeep for a medical examination. One of the investigating police officials said that though he did not smell of alcohol, there was a possibility that he was under the influence of drugs. "It can be ascertained only after we receive the report of the medical examination," an official said. The accident took place at 8.30 pm, following which the traffic came to a halt for 15 minutes.
- Candidates steering towards auto unions to rev up support
- ‘Will send builders of illegal structures to jail’
- To root out corruption, vote for change and give the new face a chance, says Bains
- Green campaign: Phoolka to ride cycle, Bittu talks of birds
- SUV driver hits car, tries to run over inspector at naka; cases registered
- Parties cash in on Sunday mood, star appeal for votes
- Babri Masjid demolition sting: BJP questions timing, asks EC to stop telecast
- Apmaan ka badla lena hoga: Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar | The Indian Express
- Arvind Kejriwal punched during roadshow in Delhi, AAP supporters thrash attacker
- Sentencing in Shakti Mills gang-rape case likely today, convicts may get death