Man found hanging in his house
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- Subrata Roy to remain in Tihar, Supreme Court calls Sahara's proposal "dishonourable"
- Arvind Kejriwal stopped on way to meet Narendra Modi
- Modi's next round of Chai pe charcha doesn't have police permission yet
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
A 35-year-old man, wanted in nearly 20 cases and allegedly facing externment from city limits, was found hanging in his apartment in Central Mumbai on Wednesday. The deceased has been identified as Velmurugan Devendra.
Police said though Devendra was rushed to Sion Hospital at 2.30 pm he was declared dead on arrival. An accidental death report (ADR) has been registered at Antop Hill police station. "No suicide note has been found from the house," said an officer.
Officers of Wadala T T police said externment proceedings had been initiated against Devendra last week. "He was charged under several sections and named in many cases. We were almost done with his externment proceedings," said an officer from the Wadala police.
Devendra's family, however, has alleged that he took the step because of externment proceedings initiated against him.
"He was called to the Wadala T T police a few days ago. He was diagnosed with jaundice and was battling bad health. He may have come under lot of pressure because of the externment notice and may have taken his own life because of the case. We suspect that the case is false," said Anna Durai, Devendra's cousin.
Devendra is survived by his pregnant wife, two sons and a daughter.