Man Friday till the end
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats BJP PM candidate Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi attacks Gandhis, says family going strong for 60 years, time to build a strong nation
Thapa is part of the Nepali Shramik Mazdoor Sangh, which is an association of Nepalis under the Shiv Sena. It has put hoardings across the city designating Thapa as its leader
Considered Bal Thackeray's Man Friday, Champa Singh Thapa was by his side for over 30 years, cooking for him and helping him in his daily schedule. On Sunday, Thapa saw the leader off on his last journey, performing the last rites along with the rest of the family.
Thapa would shadow Thackeray around his house and be present at each of his public appearances. He would often be on duty from evening till morning. A resident of the Terai region, he was fluent in Marathi and helped Thackeray learn a smattering of Nepali during their decades-long association.
Earlier this year, when Thackeray traveled to Thane to address an election rally, Thapa helped him up the stairs and stood behind him and handed him, as necessary, a handkerchief, a glass of water or papers to read out from.
A Sena leader recalled how Thackeray often liked the simple staple of "dal khichdi" that Thapa cooked. Often during tours outside Mumbai, Thapa would reach the location a day in advance and oversee the preparations. Over the last few years, Thapa would religiously maintain Thackeray's medical routine
Sena spokesperson Neelam Gorhe recalled that in June 2011, when Baba Ramdev was arrested in Delhi, the party wanted to issue a statement and she had to speak to Thackeray. "I called up and spoke to Thapa. He immediately got me to speak to Balasaheb. It showed his understanding of issues," said Gorhe.
Thapa is part of the Nepali Shramik Mazdoor Sangh, which is an association of Nepalis under the Shiv Sena. It has put hoardings across the city designating Thapa as its leader.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'