Man Friday till the end
- Hunt on for Malaysian Airlines: Stolen passports, missing debris fuel fears of foul play
- Raj Thackeray warms up to Narendra Modi, lets Sena feel the heat
- Rs 25,000 cr: CAG sees biggest ever J&K land scam
- Uttar Pradesh BJP wants tickets for four riot-accused MLAs
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
Thapa is part of the Nepali Shramik Mazdoor Sangh, which is an association of Nepalis under the Shiv Sena. It has put hoardings across the city designating Thapa as its leader
Considered Bal Thackeray's Man Friday, Champa Singh Thapa was by his side for over 30 years, cooking for him and helping him in his daily schedule. On Sunday, Thapa saw the leader off on his last journey, performing the last rites along with the rest of the family.
Thapa would shadow Thackeray around his house and be present at each of his public appearances. He would often be on duty from evening till morning. A resident of the Terai region, he was fluent in Marathi and helped Thackeray learn a smattering of Nepali during their decades-long association.
Earlier this year, when Thackeray traveled to Thane to address an election rally, Thapa helped him up the stairs and stood behind him and handed him, as necessary, a handkerchief, a glass of water or papers to read out from.
A Sena leader recalled how Thackeray often liked the simple staple of "dal khichdi" that Thapa cooked. Often during tours outside Mumbai, Thapa would reach the location a day in advance and oversee the preparations. Over the last few years, Thapa would religiously maintain Thackeray's medical routine
Sena spokesperson Neelam Gorhe recalled that in June 2011, when Baba Ramdev was arrested in Delhi, the party wanted to issue a statement and she had to speak to Thackeray. "I called up and spoke to Thapa. He immediately got me to speak to Balasaheb. It showed his understanding of issues," said Gorhe.
Thapa is part of the Nepali Shramik Mazdoor Sangh, which is an association of Nepalis under the Shiv Sena. It has put hoardings across the city designating Thapa as its leader.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress