Man gets death for raping, killing 12-year-old
- BJP party of fake Ram bhakts, will contest all seats in ’17, says Shiv Sena
- To speed up infra projects, stay out of wildlife clearance, Govt tells SC
- PM woos German investors, promises stable environment
- Koraput lynching: Only 6 policemen to control armed mob of ‘200 villagers’
- It's Official: Hillary Clinton to kick off White house bid
A local court in Budaun in Uttar Pradesh on Thursday awarded death sentence to a man, holding him guilty of killing a 12-year-old girl after raping her at his house in Ujhawi locality in April last year.
The accused, Akhtar, had also tried to hide the girl's body.
Additional District and Sessions Judge S N Tripathi, who passed the order, held that it was a rarest of rare crime, according to assistant district government counsel Gyan Swaroop Tripathi.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 57,000 on 43-year-old Akhtar, who was convicted on three different charges.
Tripathi said the court awarded Akhtar the death penalty and imposed a fine of Rs 25,000 on the charge of murder; sentenced him to life imprisonment and imposed a fine of Rs 25,000 for rape; and a term of seven years and fine of Rs 7,000 for causing disappearance of evidence.
Akhtar, owner of a hardware shop who is married and has a child, and the victim both lived in Gaddi Tola area under Ujhawi police circle in Budaun.
According to the prosecution, on April 4, 2012 afternoon, the girl went to the fields for grazing animal. In the evening, when she did not return her family and locals started a search.
One of the locals spotted Akhtar dragging out the body from the rear door of his house.
He was caught and taken to the police station. Girl's father, a farmer, lodged an FIR against Akhtar. The autopsy confirmed rape and murder. During investigation, the police recovered the victim's broken bangles and hair from Akhtar's house.
In May 2, 2012, the police filed chargesheet against Akhtar on murder, rape and causing disappearance of evidence. Akhtar's lawyer Akhilesh Kant Saxena said they would file appeal against the order.