Man held for ‘rape and murder’ of seven-year-old in Panchmahals
- Delhi High Court raps MCD for strike, says common people are suffering
- Delhi air will never be safe because of its geographical disadvantage: Panel tells High Court
- Tanzanian student targeted because she was black, says envoy
- Supreme Court tells BCCI: Fall in line, Lodha panel report deserves respect
- Adarsh scam: CBI gets Maha Governor's nod to prosecute Ashok Chavan
The Sanatrampur police arrested a man on the charge of rape and murder of a seven-year-old girl from Narsingpura village in the Panchmahals district late on Thursday night.
"Based on a tip-off, Kadi police in Mehsana district arrested Mohan Machhar (32), a neighbour of the victim, from residence of his relative in Sindhrana village in Kadi taluka late in night," Bachu Ninama, DySP of Lunawada, in the Panchmahals told The Indian Express.
Machhar, an unmarried farm labourer, confessed to his crime, police said.
"During interrogation, he admitted that he was drunk on the day of Uttrayan and had lured the child in the name of helping her get kites. He took her to a nearby field and raped her till she was dead," Ninama further said.
After the girl died, the accused escaped Sindhrana, village of his brother-in-law Chanduji Thakor. A Panchmahals police team led by Ninama had raided Thakor's residence on Wednesday night but Machhar had managed to escape.
However, he was arrested on Thursday night when he returned to Thakor's home.
- No proof required: MGNREGA does not help poor
- Male-dominated ‘places of worship’ are places where god doesn’t reside
- As Sushma visits Lanka, India should invest its diplomatic capital in finding constitutional solution
- There is talk of 4th industrial revolution. How about spreading the benefits of the preceding three
- It Made China See Red
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2