Man held for ‘rape and murder’ of seven-year-old in Panchmahals
- Sushma Swaraj rubbishes Pakistan's 4-point peace formula at UN
- US shooting: 15 dead, 20 wounded at Oregon community college; shooter detained
- Day after Dadri lynching, VP Ansari says state has to ensure right to life
- Delhi: Man shoots self at Rajiv Chowk Metro station
- BJP MP compares Modi with Gandhi, Cong says 'sycophancy at its worst'
The Sanatrampur police arrested a man on the charge of rape and murder of a seven-year-old girl from Narsingpura village in the Panchmahals district late on Thursday night.
"Based on a tip-off, Kadi police in Mehsana district arrested Mohan Machhar (32), a neighbour of the victim, from residence of his relative in Sindhrana village in Kadi taluka late in night," Bachu Ninama, DySP of Lunawada, in the Panchmahals told The Indian Express.
Machhar, an unmarried farm labourer, confessed to his crime, police said.
"During interrogation, he admitted that he was drunk on the day of Uttrayan and had lured the child in the name of helping her get kites. He took her to a nearby field and raped her till she was dead," Ninama further said.
After the girl died, the accused escaped Sindhrana, village of his brother-in-law Chanduji Thakor. A Panchmahals police team led by Ninama had raided Thakor's residence on Wednesday night but Machhar had managed to escape.
However, he was arrested on Thursday night when he returned to Thakor's home.