Man held for ‘rape and murder’ of seven-year-old in Panchmahals
- Election LIVE: BJP's third candidate list out, Ram Kripal to contest from Patliputra against Lalu's daughter
- Show us the money, Supreme Court says, refuses bail to Subrata Roy
- December 16 gangrape: Delhi High Court upholds death to four convicts
- India joins global search to locate missing Malaysia Airlines plane
- Shiv Sena hits out at BJP, asks it to follow "alliance dharma"
The Sanatrampur police arrested a man on the charge of rape and murder of a seven-year-old girl from Narsingpura village in the Panchmahals district late on Thursday night.
"Based on a tip-off, Kadi police in Mehsana district arrested Mohan Machhar (32), a neighbour of the victim, from residence of his relative in Sindhrana village in Kadi taluka late in night," Bachu Ninama, DySP of Lunawada, in the Panchmahals told The Indian Express.
Machhar, an unmarried farm labourer, confessed to his crime, police said.
"During interrogation, he admitted that he was drunk on the day of Uttrayan and had lured the child in the name of helping her get kites. He took her to a nearby field and raped her till she was dead," Ninama further said.
After the girl died, the accused escaped Sindhrana, village of his brother-in-law Chanduji Thakor. A Panchmahals police team led by Ninama had raided Thakor's residence on Wednesday night but Machhar had managed to escape.
However, he was arrested on Thursday night when he returned to Thakor's home.
Incidentally, Sanatrampur police also arrested the teenager suspect of raping and murdering a 32-year-old woman of Babrol village in the taluka.