Man held for ‘rape and murder’ of seven-year-old in Panchmahals
- Why Germanwings flight A320 might have crashed over the French Alps
- Indian Navy surveillance aircraft crashes in Goa; two officers missing
- Section 66A: 21 individuals whose petitions changed the system
- Government is willing to compromise on land bill: Venkaiah Naidu
- A little reminder: No one in House debated Section 66A, Congress brought it and BJP backed it
The Sanatrampur police arrested a man on the charge of rape and murder of a seven-year-old girl from Narsingpura village in the Panchmahals district late on Thursday night.
"Based on a tip-off, Kadi police in Mehsana district arrested Mohan Machhar (32), a neighbour of the victim, from residence of his relative in Sindhrana village in Kadi taluka late in night," Bachu Ninama, DySP of Lunawada, in the Panchmahals told The Indian Express.
Machhar, an unmarried farm labourer, confessed to his crime, police said.
"During interrogation, he admitted that he was drunk on the day of Uttrayan and had lured the child in the name of helping her get kites. He took her to a nearby field and raped her till she was dead," Ninama further said.
After the girl died, the accused escaped Sindhrana, village of his brother-in-law Chanduji Thakor. A Panchmahals police team led by Ninama had raided Thakor's residence on Wednesday night but Machhar had managed to escape.
However, he was arrested on Thursday night when he returned to Thakor's home.
Incidentally, Sanatrampur police also arrested the teenager suspect of raping and murdering a 32-year-old woman of Babrol village in the taluka.