Man held for ‘rape and murder’ of seven-year-old in Panchmahals
- Obama rules out putting US troops on ground to fight Islamic State
- Heavy rainfall floods Tamil Nadu, rail, road services badly hit; 71 killed so far
- Azam Khan's remarks on Paris attacks spark row, BJP demands action
- French officials identify Belgian national as suspected mastermind
- Awards recognition of talent, they should be cherished: Prez
The Sanatrampur police arrested a man on the charge of rape and murder of a seven-year-old girl from Narsingpura village in the Panchmahals district late on Thursday night.
"Based on a tip-off, Kadi police in Mehsana district arrested Mohan Machhar (32), a neighbour of the victim, from residence of his relative in Sindhrana village in Kadi taluka late in night," Bachu Ninama, DySP of Lunawada, in the Panchmahals told The Indian Express.
Machhar, an unmarried farm labourer, confessed to his crime, police said.
"During interrogation, he admitted that he was drunk on the day of Uttrayan and had lured the child in the name of helping her get kites. He took her to a nearby field and raped her till she was dead," Ninama further said.
After the girl died, the accused escaped Sindhrana, village of his brother-in-law Chanduji Thakor. A Panchmahals police team led by Ninama had raided Thakor's residence on Wednesday night but Machhar had managed to escape.
However, he was arrested on Thursday night when he returned to Thakor's home.
- Responses to Mumbai, Paris attacks were strikingly different. But India has learnt since
- Tipu Sultan: Revisionist overlook his bigotry, contemporaries saw nothing else
- True successors of Gandhi-Nehru
- Raja-Mandala: The final burial of non-alignment
- Modi in Britain: Beyond a reiteration of good intentions, little was achieved
- The government’s version of the uniform civil code must be debated publicly