Man held for killing 10-yr-old girl
- CBI arrests Peter Mukerjea, says he was aware of Sheena Bora murder
- Pay panel suggests 23.55% hike, minimum pay of Rs 18,000 per month
- Paris attacks 'mastermind' Abdelhamid Abaaoud died in Saint-Denis raid
- HS Phoolka releases video of Rajiv Gandhi's speech justifying 1984 riots
- Rahul accuses PM, dares govt to take action on citizenship row
A 35-year-old man was arrested for allegedly murdering a 10-year-old girl on Sunday. Police said he was arrested a few hours after her body was found in a dustbin in Pul Prahladpur, Southeast Delhi.
The man has been identified as Gopal, a resident of Katihar district in Bihar.
He was arrested from the Tughlakabad railway station while he was trying to flee the city, police said.
According to police, he had killed the girl, whose body was found in a garbage dump at 10 pm on Saturday.
"During investigation, we spoke to the residents of the slum where the girl's parents lived. We found that Gopal lived in a shanty near the girl's home. He was not at home. Gopal and the girl hail from Katihar. Gopal was earlier apprehended from his native place on allegations of rape and molestation," Additional Commissioner of Police (Southeast) Ajay Chaudhary said.
Police began a search for Gopal and arrested him from the Tughlakabad railway station.
During questioning, he reportedly told police that he would often go to the girl's house to watch television.
"On the night of the incident, he went to the girl's shanty after consuming alcohol. She was alone in the house and taking advantage of that, he tried to misbehave with her. When she objected and threatened to tell her brother about it, he attacked her with a belan (rolling pin) and took her to a dustbin nearby. There, he repeatedly hit her with a stone and killed her," Chaudhary said.
Gopal also told police that he was apprehended in his village on allegations of molestation and attempt to rape a girl.
- What Mr Mani Shankar Aiyar won’t say
- Results of local elections indicate that the BSP is regaining ground in UP
- The idea of Bihar: Social justice cohesion should be consolidated further
- Why the British commemorate Tipu Sultan
- Why my newspaper responded to Assam Rifles notice
- India is indebted to Shanti Bhushan for undoing Indira Gandhi’s 42nd Amendment