Man involved in many car thefts in city held in Surat
- Cabinet rejects Rahul Gandhi's ordinance agenda, clears Jat reservation
- Modi takes on Mulayam, says SP misleading people under veil of secularism
- Next govt won't be formed without AAP support: Arvind Kejriwal
- Lok Sabha polls likely to commence in seven phases from April 2nd week
- China blames Islamic militants for attack by knife-wielding 'terrorists'
The Delhi Special Cell team on Wednesday afternoon arrested Mohammed Faruk (32) from Rander area in Surat on the charge of stealing luxury cars in Delhi.
Police said Faruk is a member of an inter-state gang from Mewat involved in the thefts of luxury cars and trucks. Faruk's elder brother Mohammed Arif had been gunned down in a cross-fire between robbers and security guards of a jewellery showroom in Pitampura and the Delhi Police had declared a cash reward of Rs 50,000 for any leads Faruk.
According to police, the Special Cell team came to Surat on Saturday after getting information that Faruk was hiding in the Rander area. After ascertaining that Faruk was indeed the man they were looking were, the team arrested him from Aslamnagar area in Rander on Wednesday afternoon.
Rander police said Faruk had come down to Surat on January 16 and was staying with his brother-in-law Mohammed Raees.
"The gang in which Faruk was a member tried stealing a Bolero parked outside Hira Jewellers in Pitampura last June. Security guards Krishan Kumar and Lalit Kumwar, posted outside the jewellery shop, noticed the theft and opened fire and the gang returned fire. Faruk's elder brother Mohammed Arif died on the spot, while other gang members escaped. A complaint in this connection was registered at Maurya Enclave police station," a police officer said.
Following the incident, the Delhi Police arrested two of the gang member. Acting on the inputs given by these arrested men, police started investigations to nab the rest of the gang members.
- War in Congress: Old soldiers fight Rahul brigade | The Indian Express
- Aam Aadmi Party Lok Sabha 2014 Candidates – Full list
- ‘Allegations against Somnath Bharti prime facie correct, police justified in refusing Khirki Extension raid’
- Clash of the stalwarts: Uttar Pradesh set for Modi, Kejriwal rallies today