Man opens fire as waiter refuses to eat his leftover parantha: Police
- Supreme Court stays release of Rajiv Gandhi killers after Centre opposes Jayalalithaa's decision
- Rajiv Gandhi assassination case forces adjournment of Parliament
- Facebook to acquire WhatsApp for USD 19 billion in cash and stock deal
- Congâs first casualty of Telangana Bill: Its govt and Chief Minister in Andhra
- Hazare snubs Kejriwal, declares support to Mamata in LS elections
A 27-year-old man was arrested for allegedly firing at a roadside eatery near Shivaji Stadium, Connaught Place, on Sunday morning.
Police said the man, a resident of Uttam Nagar in West Delhi, was drunk and got angry after a waiter refused to eat his leftover food. He has been arrested and his .32 bore pistol confiscated.
A case of attempt to murder has been registered against the man, who runs a gym and a "chole kulche" stall in Uttam Nagar, police said.
"The man came to Jain Dhaba near Shivaji Stadium with two friends around 5.30 am. They ordered food and asked the waiter to bring it to their car. They were reportedly drinking alcohol inside the car," a police officer said.
"When they finished eating, a waiter came to take the plates back to the eatery. They asked the young man, who is from Etawah in Uttar Pradesh, to eat a leftover parantha. When he refused, they abused him. The waiter panicked and ran to his employer," the officer said.
"Soon, other employees of the eatery gathered and requested the three men not to force the waiter to eat their leftover parantha. This led to an argument and a scuffle. Suddenly, the main accused fished out a pistol, aimed at the waiter and fired two shots. The bullets hit the tin roof of the eatery," the officer said.
The gunshots attracted a crowd and a constable Dharamveer, who was passing by. The accused tried to flee, but the constable managed to catch the main accused.
Jain Dhaba manager Dharampal Singh said they open at 5 am for breakfast.
- LS polls: Cong playing wait-and-watch game in dozen-plus seats in state
- ‘Rs 2.3 cr spent on bungalow for former Prez, but that’s no loss to exchequer’
- 9 illegal immigrants working on Army premises nabbed
- BJP’s Saurashtra unit split wide open over former minister’s snub
- Modi: Happy that my speeches contribute to nation’s coffers
- The regressive state