Man threatens to set himself on fire, arrested
- Obama rules out putting US troops on ground to fight Islamic State
- Heavy rainfall floods Tamil Nadu, rail, road services badly hit; 71 killed so far
- Azam Khan's remarks on Paris attacks spark row, BJP demands action
- French officials identify Belgian national as suspected mastermind
- Awards recognition of talent, they should be cherished: Prez
UT police officials went on high alert when the Police Control Room received a call that a man is going to set himself ablaze in front of the police headquarters on Wednesday. Pradeep Garg, a resident of Sector 34 had allegedly called a friend telling about his intentions who later informed the police. Police officials were deputed outside the headquarters. One of the police officials said that the man came to the headquarters but finding the police personnel, he fled. Following this, he called the control room that he will do the same in front of the official residence of Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Alok Kumar in Sector 16. Police officials were sent to the residence of DIG in civil dress. Pradeep was arrested by the police before he could attempt anything. Garg, a property dealer, told the police during investigation that he had been tense for a long time as a person Madan Lal, was not returning his cash. However, the police officials confirmed that there are Economical Offences registered against Pradeep. Police has booked Pradeep on charges of attempt to suicide and he will be produced in court today.
21-year-old commits suicide
Chandigarh: A 21-year-old committed suicide blaming herself in the suicide note. Monika, a student of nursing was living in a rented accommodation in Sector 49. She had come to Chandigarh for the treatment of her mother. Monika is a native from Ludhiana. Her mother was undergoing a treatment in PGIMER. Reportedly, on Wednesday morning, Monika did not open the door of her room for a long time. When the neighbours knocked no one answered. Eventually, the police was informed. After the door of Monika's room was broken, Monika was found hanging from the ceiling fan. The police officials rushed her to GMSH-16 where she was declared dead on arrival. A suicide note was found in the room on which she had written that she herself is the reason for taking such a step and and asked her parents not to mourn.
- Responses to Mumbai, Paris attacks were strikingly different. But India has learnt since
- Tipu Sultan: Revisionist overlook his bigotry, contemporaries saw nothing else
- True successors of Gandhi-Nehru
- Raja-Mandala: The final burial of non-alignment
- Modi in Britain: Beyond a reiteration of good intentions, little was achieved
- The government’s version of the uniform civil code must be debated publicly