Man who attacked cop in drunken state held
- BJP calls Rahul's take on Land Bill a 'white lie', wants him to apologise
- Presstitutes remark row: Modi says media ignoring V K Singh's good work in Yemen
- This govt is for the poor: PM Modi to BJP MPs
- 51 arrested for setting Puri-Barbil Express train coach on fire
- COAI roots for net neutrality, access to Internet for all
Vakola resident Kashmirasingh Lakhanpal, who allegedly assaulted a police constable under the influence of alcohol in September last year, was arrested Wednesday. Lakhanpal had fled the city after the incident.
Police learned that he had returned and picked him up from Yogiraj Ashram area where he resides.
"In September last year, the police station received a call from residents of Yogiraj Ashram that an inebriated man was creating a ruckus in the area. When our two constables confronted Lakhanpal, he began arguing. He later assaulted one of them and fled," said Vakola police senior inspector Rajendra Pardeshi.
Police registered a case of assault with the intention of obstructing a government official but could not arrest Lakhanpal as he fled the city the same night.
"Wednesday, we received information from our sources that Lakhanpal had returned to the area. We sent a team and arrested him in the night," said Pardeshi.
Lakhanpal is a habitual drinker who lives in a hut and does odd jobs, police said. He was produced in court Thursday and granted bail.