Man who jumped parole held from CR waiting room
- Jayalalithaa sacks her MP Sasikala for slapping DMK leader, Sasikala seeks protection from RS
- Supreme Court rejects appeal challenging exoneration of Amit Shah in Sohrabuddin case
- Gujarat Dalits put BJP govt on notice, protest march to reach Una on Independence Day
- Bulandshahr gangrape: Three held, have earlier cases of looting
- Making case against Zakir Naik, officials list 55 terror accused he ‘inspired’
A murder convict sentenced to life imprisonment, who jumped parole in 2009 and was on the run since, was arrested from a waiting room at Mumbai Central railway station Friday, where he had been staying intermittently over the last two months. Raju Prakash Deolekar (38) was handed over to the Nalasopara police, who were trying to trace him for the past four months.
Deolekar was sentenced to life imprisonment in 1996 for murdering a relative in Dadar. While requesting for parole, Deolekar had provided the Yerwada jail authorities with his step-father Umesh Singh Mayawanshi's identity card. The ID card belonged to Mumbai Central railway yard, where Mayawanshi works as a gangmani, said the railway police.
The Nalasopara police informed the Mumbai Central Railway Police recently about Deolekar. Along with the city police, the railway police laid a trap Friday and caught Deolekar when he was in the waiting room. Rajendra Trivedi, senior police inspector, Mumbai Central GRP, said, "The convict had even got a new PAN card in the name of Sachin Mayawanshi and was planning to take up a job in the railways. He had been staying with his mother and step-father in the waiting room for many months now." Police are probing how Deolekar managed to stay in a waiting room at the railway station without a valid ticket for so long.
- Atrocities against Dalits are a carryover Congress must account for, instead of defaming BJP
- It was in Mahasweta Devi’s varied imagination that she could live out her dreams
- Crimes against Dalits are increasing, the state has time and again let them down
- Raja Mandala: The Trump inversion
- All child labour should have been outlawed, with no exceptions
- How protection of the cow has come to mean oppression of the Dalits