Mani held, sent to custody till Dec 4
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Thousands join Narendra Modi as he begins roadshow ahead of filing nomination from Varanasi
- Modi to Cong: Just 20 days more...Will take revenge
- SC to frame rules to snip govt ads
- Donât allow regional parties to contest LS polls: Chavan
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: Modi urges youngsters to vote; Medha Patkar alleges money distribution by parties
Senior CPM leader M M Mani, who has been charged with murder in the wake of his speech that the party had a history of killing political rivals, was arrested in Idukki district on Wednesday.
After being nabbed from his house in the morning, Mani was produced before a magistrate court, which remanded him in judicial custody till December 4. Deploring the arrest, the CPM called for a dawn-to-dusk hartal in Idukki district on Thursday.
Last week, the police had served a notice to Mani, who was removed from the party as district secretary in the wake of the controversial admission, to undergo polygraph test. Mani had rejected the police notice on health ground.
The arrest was in connection with the murder of youth congress leader Ancheri Baby, who was shot dead by rivals in 1982. Mani, in his speech on May 25 to explain the party stand on the killing of rebel leader T P Chandrasekharan, had recalled some of the political murders in Idukki district in the 1980s. He had boasted that the party had prepared a list of 13 rivals to be murdered.
Subsequently, the police reopened the murder case of Baby and Mani was charged under sections 302, 109 and 118 of the IPC. Three other local CPM leaders were also made accused in the case.
In July, the Supreme Court had dismissed Mani's plea to quash further probe into the three-decade-old case.
CPM state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan said the arrest was a government strategy to cover up its lapses. "Why the police were reluctant to arrest Congress MP K Sudhakaran who had owned up political murder and Muslim League legislator P K Basheer, whose name figured in a twin murder case," asked Vijayan.
- ANF official accused of killing youth a gallantry award winner
- Maharashtra: Poor turnout till 9 am in third phase of polling
- Hyderabad blast 2013: Agencies hunt for Mangalore ‘source’
- Police raids Giriraj Singh's home to arrest him for hate remarks
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police
- Sindhu, Kashyap advance, Srikanth exits early at Asian C’ships