Manipur studentís death: Protests in Delhi, Bangalore
- Mamata Banerjee govt saving those involved in Saradha scam: Rahul Gandhi
- Senior Pakistan journalist Hamid Mir shot at in Karachi
- One dead in Odisha post-poll violence
- BJP rubbishes Geelani's claim, calls separatist leader's 'Modi emissary talk' as 'false and mischievous'
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs KKR: KKR lose Pandey after steady stand against DD
Students from the Northeast protested through Sunday at the Jantar Mantar and India Gate in Delhi and Town Hall in Bangalore, demanding justice for Manipuri student Richard Loitam, 19, who died under suspicious circumstances in his college hostel in Bangalore on April 18.
The Students' Association of Manipur in Delhi issued a three-point list of demands: Constitution of an independent inquiry into Loitam's death, booking those found guilty of negligence, and proactive action by the Union government to curb discrimination against people from the Northeast.
Loitam was found dead in his hostel room due to brain hemorrhage after an alleged assault by two seniors. Acharya NRV School of Architecture, Bangalore, authorities said the two seniors were suspended from the hostel (but not the college) on Sunday. The police have directed the two not to leave Bangalore till the probe was over.