Manmohan Singh over-rated as economist, underestimated as politician: Jaswant Singh
- In Textiles Ministry, a tussle brews between Smriti Irani and Secretary
- VK Singh tried to deny me promotion via false charges, malafide intent: Army Chief Dalbir Singh
- Rio Olympics: Sakshi Malik wins bronze in women's wrestling 58kg category, opens India's account
- PM Modi, Amit Shah lay foundation stone for new BJP headquarters in New Delhi
- CRPF says it has fired over 3000 pellet cartridges in Kashmir since July 8
Senior BJP leader Jaswant Singh today asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to call it a day and take rest by retiring from politics 'in the evening of his life'.
BJP leader told reporters in reply to a question that Manmohan Singh is underestimated as a politician and over-rated as an economist.
"A comment was made on Dr Manmohan Singh by somebody several years back. I would not name the person but he said that Singh is seen as an economist way above his capabilities and as a politician people have not been able to understand his political prowess, competence and cleverness," Jaswant Singh said.
The BJP leader was replying to a question on whether Manmohan Singh, 80, can get a third term as Prime Minister if Congress-led UPA wins the General Elections in 2014.
Singh maintained that though Manmohan Singh has been Prime Minister for nine years, it looks like he has been there for a longer period.
The BJP leader suggested that Singh should call it quits now and go into retirement.
- Playing the Baloch card: We have acknowledged that India, Pakistan are deeply hyphenated
- Sharmila is the doer who breaks a grand vow to protect the greater common good
- Seventy years later, the sedition law is cramping all our freedoms
- Prepaid electricity in Manipur reduces power theft; improves supply
- Prime Minister’s I-Day speech was a spectacle that didn’t hold together
- Linking PoK with Balochistan could undermine India’s high moral ground vis a vis Pakistan