Maoist attack in Chhattisgarh: Four CRPF jawans killed
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
As security cover was eased in Bastar after the elections, the Maoists killed four CRPF personnel and injured three others on Wednesday morning in Bijapur district. In their first major attack since elections, the Maoists assaulted forces that were part of a road opening party for CRPF's proposed civic action programme in Cheramangi village.
The deceased include Amitabh Mishra, Madan Lal Akhe, Digant Bayan and Dilip Kumar. All belonged to the 168 Battalion of CRPF. "The team was deployed to clear the area between Nukanpal and Dharavaram. Our forces immediately retaliated and we expect some Naxals were also killed," said RK Vij, ADG (Naxal Ops).
The firing continued for over thirty minutes, as Maoists also exploded a pressure bomb in the area.
In May this year, heavily-armed Maoists had ambushed a convoy of Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh, killing 27 people – including senior party leader Mahendra Karma, state party chief Nand Kumar Patel and former Union Minister V C Shukla.
Recently, security forces had averted a possible landmine explosion by defusing two IEDs weighing 50 kg in Dantewada area of poll-bound Chhattisgarh.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress