Maoist attack in Chhattisgarh: Four CRPF jawans killed
- Cong makes public Raje's signed document backing Lalit Modi, asks govt to sack her
- Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal announces run for US presidential elections 2016
- Maharashtra minister Pankaja Munde accused of Rs 206 crore 'scam'
- Smriti Irani in dock over fake degree; Congress, AAP demand her sacking
- All above the age of 75 in BJP declared brain dead by Modi: Yashwant Sinha
As security cover was eased in Bastar after the elections, the Maoists killed four CRPF personnel and injured three others on Wednesday morning in Bijapur district. In their first major attack since elections, the Maoists assaulted forces that were part of a road opening party for CRPF's proposed civic action programme in Cheramangi village.
The deceased include Amitabh Mishra, Madan Lal Akhe, Digant Bayan and Dilip Kumar. All belonged to the 168 Battalion of CRPF. "The team was deployed to clear the area between Nukanpal and Dharavaram. Our forces immediately retaliated and we expect some Naxals were also killed," said RK Vij, ADG (Naxal Ops).
The firing continued for over thirty minutes, as Maoists also exploded a pressure bomb in the area.
In May this year, heavily-armed Maoists had ambushed a convoy of Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh, killing 27 people – including senior party leader Mahendra Karma, state party chief Nand Kumar Patel and former Union Minister V C Shukla.
Recently, security forces had averted a possible landmine explosion by defusing two IEDs weighing 50 kg in Dantewada area of poll-bound Chhattisgarh.