Maoists set demands, deadline to free collector
- GST Bill in Rajya Sabha this week, Jaitley to discuss amendments with state finance ministers
- Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio 2016 Olympics participation under threat
- AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan arrested for threatening a woman
- Kin of missing AN-32 passengers, crew: Across the country, they wait for word, hoping and praying
- Kashmir unrest: Of 317 with pellet injuries in action by CRPF, over 50% have been hit in eye
A day after abducting Sukma Collector Alex Paul Menon, the CPI (Maoist) today sent a list of demands, including an immediate halt to all police activities in the area and release of eight fellow comrades as well as several tribals allegedly framed in false cases.
Setting a deadline of 72 hours, they have threatened that if action is not taken by April 25, they will have to decide the collector's fate in a Jan Adalat (people's court).
Menon was abducted while holding a meeting of the Gram Suraj Abhiyan. ADG (Naxal) Ramnivas told The Indian Express: "We are yet to verify the demands."
The Maoists whose release has been sought are Madkam Gopanna, Nirmal Akka, Devpal Chandrashekhar Reddy, Shantipriya Reddy, Meena Chaudhary, Korsa Sanni, Madkam Sanni. Vijay has also sought release of Asit Kumar Sen.
- Kashmir unrest: A to-do list for PM Modi
- Not too late to reverse an ugliness spreading in the name of our sacred cows
- Arvind Kejriwal is uncomfortable with anyone with a mind of his own
- Not just the Arunachal switch but the choice of Sheila Dikshit for the UP are warnings to the BJP
- Gujarat unrest shows while Dalit lives have improved, conflict has increased
- Zakir Naik is ‘protected’ as an Indian citizen but he considers himself a Muslim first