Martyr Lance Naik Hemraj cremated with military honours
- Quota row: Curfew imposed in Gujarat's Mehsana district
- Indrani Mukherjea, former Star TV CEO Peter Mukherjea's wife, arrested on murder charge
- India's population 121.09 crore; Hindus 79.8 pc, Muslims 14.2 pc: Census
- Kejriwal meets PM Modi, talks about better Centre-State relation
- BJP registers comfortable win in Bengaluru civic polls, setback for Congress
Lance Naik Hemraj, one of the two soldiers brutally killed by Pakistani troops in J&K, was cremated tonight with full military honours at his native village Khairar amid chanting of 'Hemraj Amar Rahen'.
The funeral pyre was lit by his five-year-old son Prince in the presence of senior civil as well as military officers.
He is survived by his wife Dharmvati, mother Meena, two daughters – Nirmal (8), Kallo (3), son Prince and brothers Puran and Jai Singh. His father had expired two years ago.
"He was cremated with full honours," additional district magistrate Avadhesh Tiwari said.
Hemraj's grieving mother said her son had recently visited them and did not expect that he will return in this manner.
"He had joined Army on 6th Jaunary 2001. He came on leave recently and had rejoined his job on December 20, 2012," she said.
Hemraj's death, however, has not deterred the family from sending another son to join the Army.
"We are proud of Hemraj and we would send Prince in the Army to take revenge from the soldiers of Pakistan," Hemraj's mother and wife said.
The body reached the village at around 8:00 PM. It was taken to his wife who simply touched the coffin.