Maruti conducts psychometric tests for 1,100 job aspirants
- April 23 campaign roundup: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra rakes up snooping row to target Narendra Modi
- IPL 7: All-round Jadeja steals show in CSK win
Maruti Suzuki Limited (MSL) Wednesday conducted a psychometric evaluation of over 1,100 candidates it plans to hire for its strife-torn manufacturing plant at Manesar from Gujarat. These tests that measure "hidden" personality traits of a candidate were part of a "pre-hiring assessment".
Repeated instances of labour unrest at the Manesar plant — including a lock-out on July 21, 2012 following violence by workers — has prompted the car manufacturer to explore new avenues to hire the necessary workforce to run the assembly line at its factories in the National Capital Region.
"We are evaluating the candidates on three parameters...
This includes technical knowledge, psychometric tests and demographic tests," said a MSL official.
A five-member MSL team, with the help of state government officials, conducted these tests at Industrial Training Institute (ITI), Kubernagar in Ahmedabad.
Though officials refused to divulge details of the pre-hiring assessment, the two-hour long tests saw candidates holding ITI certificates being asked over 150 questions. Most of these questions were part of psychometric tests that quizzed the candidates in the age group of 18-26 years on personality traits (like aggression, style or manner of doing things), reasoning, motivation and ability assessment (like ability to co-operate and work in sync with colleagues).
Officials said that after the 2012 violence, which led to the death of a senior manager, the company is very careful about the profile of employees being hired for both junior and senior positions.
"This is the first time Maruti Suzuki is hiring in such large numbers from Gujarat. This is also, perhaps the first time, when psychometric tests are being conducted for ITI candidates in Gujarat," said K D Chauhan, assistant director (employment), directorate of Employment & Training, Gujarat, who oversaw the recruitment process along with P B Vyas of ITI-Kubernagar.
According to MSL officials, the candidates who clear the pre-hiring assessment will be shortlisted for interview and a practical test. The company is looking to hire nearly 1,000 workers for six months. After this period expires, the recruited employee will be retained as per the discretion of the company, officials said.
- Sindhu, Kashyap advance, Srikanth exits early at Asian C’ships
- Adhiban recovers, stays in lead
- 1 jumps to death as fire breaks out in Surat 10-storey building
- Barcelona gets temporary relief as FIFA freezes transfer ban
- Moyes thanks Ferguson, stays mum on players
- Mets feel Raptors’ bite, Wizards tame Bulls again in play-offs