Maruti Suzuki, Honda, Hyundai domestic car sales up in August
- PM Modi discusses GST bill with Manmohan, Sonia at 7 RCR; Cong says demands non-political
- Withdraw convocation invite to Narendra Modi: Jamia Millia alumni to VC
- PoK will remain with Pakistan, J&K will remain with India: Farooq Abdullah
- Liquor ban in Bihar: Nitish Kumar's poll promise to women comes at a high cost
- Amarinder Singh appointed as new Punjab Cong President
Car makers Maruti Suzuki India, Honda and Hyundai posted increase in their domestic sales in August, while others including Mahindra, Toyota and Tata Motors reported declines amid a continuous slowdown in the market.
While the car makers struggled, two-wheeler makers such as Hero MotoCorp and Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India reported sales growth in August this year.
Maruti Suzuki India (MSI), which witnessed a month-long lockout at its Manesar plant last August following violence, posted 51.6 per cent sales growth in this year benefiting from a low base effect.
MSI said its domestic sales increased stood at 76,018 units as against 50,129 units in August last year. Sales of mini segment cars, including M800, Alto, A-Star and WagonR, increased by 45.1 per cent to 32,019 units, while that of compact segment comprising Swift, Estilo, Ritz surged over two fold to 17,409 units.
MSI said sales of its popular compact sedan Dzire zoomed over four fold during the month under review at 13,723 units as against 3,085 units in August 2012.
Honda Cars India Ltd (HCIL) continued to do well on the on the success of its new entry level sedan Amaze, posting 63 per cent jump in its total domestic sales at 8,913 units for August 2013. It sold 6,242 units of its latest sedan Amaze last month.
"HCIL's overall sales volume during August 2013 was quite robust. With the onset of festival season in West and South India, we have tried to maximise the production of Honda Amaze during August to be able to speed up the deliveries," HCIL Senior Vice President (Marketing & Sales) Jnaneswar Sen said.
Ford India reported 2.14 per cent increase in domestic sales boosted by its new Sports Utility Vehicle, EcoSport to 8,008 units in August this year as against 7,840 units in the same month last year.
- Good governance is in actions, not in 'abolishing' religious holidays of minorities
- Respecting sovereignty is the essence of bilateral diplomatic engagement
- Islam doesn’t justify targeting innocent lives in the manner in which it was done in Paris
- Imran Khan is a politician with a sense of personal destiny, and a divine mission
- Game upside down
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed